Over the past few days, there have been reports of attempted car break-ins around the Killingworth area, documented via Nextdoor Neighbor and Ring Alerts. This is a PSA to remind you to lock your cars in your driveway at night, as well as ensure that your home doors are locked and valuables are secured.
Additionally, here are some helpful tips to discourage car thieves, whether you’re home or out and about:
- Always lock your doors and roll up your windows when you park.
- Don’t leave any valuables in the car or visible in the car (including but not limited to wallets, purses, shopping bags, any technology like computers or phones, cash, or even your keys).
- Don’t use the console or glove box as a mobile lock box – this spot is obvious to thieves.
- If you can, try and park close to your home or in the garage, rather than on the street.
- Consider window tinting, since it makes casing your car more difficult.
If you see something suspicious, say something – it’s always a smart and welcomed idea to be a good neighbor, letting those living nearby know when something is amiss. This ensures safety and awareness for everyone.
Have a tip for us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org